The Board of the Halifax Hospital Medical Center Taxing District, which is made up of citizens who serve by appointment of the Governor without pay, levies property taxes
to support its public mission. Some of the tax dollars are diverted by law to pay Volusia County's mandatory contribution to the State's Medicaid Trust Fund and to help support local redevelopment districts, as well
as reimburse the tax assessor and collector for their work.
Halifax Hospital Medical Center District was initially created by the Florida Legislature in 1927. The purpose was to provide a quality hospital
for the citizens of the area, who up to then were served by "hospitals" consisting of a few beds attached to the offices of various doctors in the community.
Halifax Medical Center was built in 1928. The Legislature re-chartered the District in 1991, with a refined mission of assuring the availability of health care for all who lived within it, regardless of their ability to pay. Although the charter could be broadly construed, the District Board adopted the policy that monies collected would be used only to provide care to those unable to pay or obtain insurance.